Monday, September 1, 2008

Weekend

Saturday we spent most of the day at my parents house taking care of their yard. It was our family's turn to go over and help out. We got the lawn and ditch banks taken care of. And about half of the hedge trimmed. We'll have to go back sometime this week and finish it up.

Sunday was church and then a bbq/dinner with some favorite cousins. I cooked up some steak and chicken on the grill but we didn't eat outside as it was hailing and raining and blowing. The kids had sleepovers half at our house, half at the cousins.

Today? Today I spent the day on the couch watching America's Next Top Model re-runs on MTV. I didn't even get to finish up the season but it was still fun. I wasn't feeling really great and since the weather was still cold, rainy and windy I felt that I could just sit and veg. I did actually get off the couch to get lunch and dinner but my oldest boy fixed everyone pancakes. I LOVE that they are getting old enough to do stuff like that.

Tomorrow it's back to school and then the day after tomorrow my M. will be turning 11. Crazy stuff. Basically pretty boring stuff but I'm thankful for it. I'd much rather have a weekend like this than one full of drama and stress.

I have this quote printed out and sitting on my bookshelf upstairs. It pretty much sums up how I feel.

"Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so. One day I shall dig my nails into the earth, or bury my face in the pillow, or stretch myself taut, or raise my hands to the sky and want, more than all the world, your return."

Mary Jean Iron

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh I LOVE that quote. I don't think I've ever seen it before. How very, very true....

TJ said...

That quote is my new fav. I'm happy for you to have a normal day. I can't wait till my kids can cook me food.

Mark Lee said...

Bring on boring. I love the regular, the mundane and I thrive on schedules.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE that quote too. I feel that quote a lot... being sick has made me really cherish those normal days. LOVE that someone else put it into script like that.