Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Keep Walking

Last Saturday Ty got me a pass to our new local Rec Center. He gets one free because he teaches classes there. He got one for me so that I could go and walk and use the weights. I wanted to get up there yesterday but wasn't feeling the greatest. Today I put my walking shoes on and headed out the door.

I actually would prefer to walk outdoors but I know that I need to get in a habit of going to the Rec Center or I won't use the pass. And I need to use the pass. I need to get healthier. I tell myself this in my head all the time but the chocolate and the Coke and the cookies and the cake and the Snickers and the Fruit Pies and....well you get the idea....keep calling out their siren song to me. And I have been too weak to resist.

I don't really like exercise. I never have. Surprising since I am pretty athletic and was on the track team in high school and college. But I don't like it. I don't really like to sweat. I do enjoy water aerobics because you are sweating but you don't know it. I like hiking and doing athletic things.

I guess I'm just lazy (and weak as stated earlier). I don't want to have to work to keep weight off and I want to eat what I want to eat, when I want to eat it. Not a good attitude to have at any time in life but especially at my age. Then throw in my metabolism that is slowing way, way down and "BAM!". Not a good, Emeril type Bam either.

Plus what kind of example am I setting for my kids? Don't get me wrong we don't down junk food and soda (well the kids and Ty don't) around here all day. But I certainly don't eat as healthy as I could and should. Ty does a really great job of it. And I appreciate him because he worries about me but isn't rude to me about my shape.

I'm hoping that I can guilt myself into going regularly to the Rec Center. Then maybe that guilt will turn into a habit. That and I have to learn to resist the siren song of junk food. *sigh* One day of walking down.

4 comments:

Tyran, the Yeti Yogi said...

Woohoo, good for you!

You are going to class tonight, right?

Julie said...

Okay... you know the commercial for one of the insurance companies that put's the spot on where someone is...

I'm SOOO there with you! I need to get back to the gym on a regular basis, and stay away from the soda's... they've started selling my favorite soda in the cold display case at the grocery store and I've been getting WAY too many of them... (cream soda)

Keep posting about when you go, and I'll try to post when I go... maybe we can motivate each other?!?! :)

KTsMommy said...

Good luck to you!! I too find it hard to resist the siren song of the junk food in my house (and when it's not in the house, at the store, etc...)--nothing like a little instant gratification :P

I hear that scheduling the exercise into your day is the only way to go--make it a date with yourself that you must keep. We're starting badminton again at the end of the month--unfortunately the program only runs 8 weeks twice a year, so the other 36 weeks we don't do much :P, but at least it's something...

TJ said...

I am sooo with you on this. I don't like excercise either, but I love the candy machine.
I used to be athletic too and would rather hike, snowboard, etc for my excercise, but I find it hard to make time now that I'm a mom and work full time. Lately I've been taking my kids hiking with me, but they hold me up. Better than nothin' right?