Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Clarification

M's teacher called me tonight to talk to me about this whole "book banning" issue. I know I should have just called him rather than send the email but I didn't want to get on the phone and sound like a deranged mother going on and on about how book banning is against the first amendment and how dare they tell my daughter what she can and can't read. So I sent an email and probably came across that way anyway.

He called and neither Ty nor I were home. M, like the good, smart girl that she is told him that we were unable to come to the phone at the moment but could she take a message. He probably thought we were just avoiding him and didn't want to talk about the whole mess. Really we weren't here.

I called him back and found out that he, as their teacher, is asking that the kids not bring the books because they are causing too much of a distraction. M not so much because she has taken the cover off of the book so as far as the other kids are concerned she is just reading a black book. I guess that there are others in the class reading either the paper backs or with the covers on the books. And for some reason or another it's causing Mr. G daily stress so he's asked them not to bring them. Fine by me. He told me to tell M that he is glad that she has a book, and not just a book but a series of books, that she loves to read. I guess kids are asking him why they can't read the Twilight series and he has to keep telling them that he doesn't know why they can't read them, he's not their parent.

I told M that we will honor Mr G's wishes because he isn't banning the books he's banning a distraction. Which I can totally understand. She can find other books to read during school time.

She'll survive without Edward for that amount of time. If Bella can do it then so can M.

No comments: