Monday, September 29, 2008

Brain Loop

Everyone gets songs stuck in their heads. You know how annoying it is and frustrating. I've had that happen as well. But every once in a while my brain takes it to the next level. Instead of having a song just stuck in my brain I have a phrase or a chorus from a song that plays in a loop in my head. Seriously, like a record skipping. Nothing can force it's way in except for the lyrics that are playing in that loop.

Yep. The last one I remember really well was from the Macy Gray's song "I Try." It was when Michael J. Fox was leaving Spin City and they used this song as part of the commercials to hype his last appearance on the show. This is what got stuck in my head.

I try to say goodbye and I choke
Try to walk away and I stumble
Though I try to hide it, it's clear
My world crumbles when you are not here
Goodbye and I choke
I try to walk away and I stumble
Though I try to hide it, it's clear
My world crumbles when you are not here

When this occurs my brain also throws in a lovely yet horrendous headache to accompany the loop of words that refuse to be evicted from my head. The only way to empty my head of the lyrics and the pain is to take a couple of Excedrin and turn on the radio and actually focus on the words of the songs that are on. The headaches that come with the loops don't necessarily deal well with sound and it usually helps to sleep them off but after taking Excedrin sleep is hard to come by, unfortunately that is the only way I have found to erase the headaches and the lyrics.

I had another Brain Loop last night. I tried to hold it off as long as I could. Tried to deal with it, sleep it off. I should have known better. At 2:45 a.m. I had to get out of bed, go upstairs, take some Excedrin, turn on the radio and try to get the loop to stop.

It was a loop from a Primary song, since we had our Primary program yesterday. This time around it was only one line from the song "If the Savior Stood Beside Me". I love this song. It's a beautiful song with a very touching message. The line that got stuck in the loop was "He is always with me, though I do not see Him there." I love this line but after having it going in my head for two to three hours along with the headache it was just too much.

So...Message to Brain. I get it. I get it. I know that I can depend on my Savior and He will be there for me no matter what. I have been struggling with some things for awhile. I guess my brain is just tired of listening to me whine in my head all the time and feel sorry for myself. Maybe this is the way that I yell and scream at myself to get my point across to me. I get it. Lesson learned.

8 comments:

TJ said...

Better than some songs to have stuck I guess. But still sucks.

p.s. we're not in the same ward, are we?

Just SO said...

Nope.

It's just that time of year for the Children's program. My cousins had theirs this Sunday as well.

*MARY* said...

I love that song, is it in the primary songbook now? Anyway, you're pretty weird.

Kristina P. said...

I'm thinking that the only way to cure this is with More Cowbell!!!

Thanks for commenting! We roll with the same posse, so I'm glad you commented! I love your blog background and feel. I've been trying to decided if I want to do the 3 column look, but it sort of scares me.

Anyway, I will add you to my blogroll immediately. Do you have a real name you don't mind sharing, that I can put next to your awesome blog name?

Candice said...

I hope you don't mind me linking to you from cjane, I also hope this is the first time I am contacting you, it is hard to keep track! I am trying to let people know about threads of love, a nie project I am starting, check it out at www.quilt4nie.blogspot.com or on her benefit blog. Thanks! Love, Candice

Anonymous said...

love how you worded that :smile:

Anonymous said...

OK! Now I will be singing Macey Gray's song all day, thanks alot!!

Wendyburd1 said...

I know, I TRY is now in my head! I just wanted to say Hi, saw you on the above Wendy's blog. I get songs, and just a line or two lines, stuck all the time and I CAN'T get rid of them...until something new gets stuck in my brain. I call it a record player too! Get stuck in the same groove of the bloody record, stupid brain!!