Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Tag. I'm it.


I was tagged by Mommy Madness. A big thanks to her for the tag because I wasn't sure what to blog about today.

Seven random or weird things about me....

1. I was pretty much the perfect teenager. Not that I didn't do things wrong or make bad choices, I did. But the things I did were pretty minor. I very rarely talked back to my mom and dad. I tried really hard to tell the truth. I helped out around the house when I could. I never really had a "rebellious" stage. I figured that some of my other brothers and sisters (I'm number seven of eight kids) had already given my parents enough grief that I just couldn't bring myself to really disobey or do something really stupid. And there are some days as an adult, as I look back on those days, that I wish I had done something. It's usually a fleeting thought though.

2. I went to college on a track and field scholarship. I threw the shot-put and the discus. You know the little steel ball and the steel Frisbee? Yup. I actually didn't really know how to throw the discus before I got to college and they had to teach me. They laughed their butts off at me too because I fell down a lot trying to learn the spin. I got the last laugh when, with my last throw of my college career I broke the school record. And that record still stands (amazingly enough) 15 years later.

3. I am known far and wide (through my stake at least) for a Hans and Frans skit that my best friend and I did at girls camp 20 plus years ago. People still come up and comment to me about it. Really they do. It was that good (or bad). (And yes I still live in the same ward and stake that I grew up in.)

4. Do you ever have birds fly in front of your car as you are driving? And it seems like they just wait for the car to come driving by and then they fly out of the tree or off the the fence in front of the car and you don't hit them but you come pretty close? Well I imagine that these birds are the reckless teenage birds or ones who have had one too many. And that there are other birds who are across the street watching and laughing their little birdie butts off, as this flying bird whom they have dared to do this plays "chicken" with my car. Bizarre I know.

5. I found out in college that I was pretty good at playing quarters. Not with actual liquor because I was the designated driver (and because, as I said in my first random thing I was a good kid). But I was sitting at the bar trying not to get bored while waiting for my friends to get tired of drinking and want to go back to the hotel so I asked how to play quarters. I had no idea. So the bartender gave me a shot glass and told me that you bounce the quarter off of the bar and into the glass. I was a natural at it. Not a talent that you can bring up in Relief Society when they have the lesson on talents though. And not one that you can hold up as an example when you are in YW's talking to them about finding their talents either.

6. I love grapefruit. Love to eat it and love to drink grapefruit juice. Not the Ruby Red Grapefruit juice either. It has to be the yummy, tart yellow grapefruit juice. Mmmmmmmmmmm. Oh and it has to be straight up grapefruit, no sugar or salt or nothing on it. Pure unadulterated grapefruitiness.

7. My favorite movie is Somewhere in Time. I love that show. I love the music in that show. And I really dislike the show Dr. Quinn medicine woman. Even though they both starred Jane Seymour. The reason I dislike the Dr. Quinn is it started that darn whole phenomenon of naming girls names that start with a "Mc" because her name was Michaela in that show. I'd had my daughters name picked out since I was in 7th grade, (7th grade people!) and I thought it would be very unique and beautiful. It is beautiful but it's not as unique as I would like because of that darn Dr. Quinn show. Yes I'm bitter. Maybe someday I'll get over it.

Okay those are my seven. Here are the people I tag.

Erin
Julie
Kristina
Michelle
Tyran
Michele
Stacey

If you've already been tagged then just repost the post that you've already done. Or if you just don't want to do it then that's okay. I'll just quietly weep over here in the corner and try to deal with my disappointment.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember someone putting on a Hans and Frans skit at girls camp! Your not from California, are you?

My son does the discus in jr. high. He is pretty good at it but doesn't like to spin.

Your reckless bird theory, lil bizarre but then again I think the same thing about the squirrels around here. I have to pass by large grape fields and the squirrels are always running across.

Jillene said...

Hans and Frans--LOVE it!!

Very cool about the shotput and discus!

I have actually HIT a bird who didn't have fast enough reflexes--be VERY glad you haven't hit one yet--very gross!

BUT my favorite--learning to play quarters in the bar!! hahahaha!! I played quarters once upon a time ago--but I did it the naughty way (I was the rebellious one in my family of 2).

Kristina P. said...

First, I was like you as a teenager. I'm the oldest in my family, so the uptight, responsible one.

And second, I don't want to make you cry, well, maybe a little, but I will probably never do this tag. I'm not joking when I say this is the 20th tag I would need to do! I've only done one tag in my entire blog career, so maybe I'll find that one for you.

Anonymous said...

HA HA! I think the birds are totally daring each other to fly in front of the cars! IT is a rush for them I swear!! and I LOVE Somewhere in TIME, and hate DR. Quinn too!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for doing the Tag! It's fun learning all about my new boggy friends.

I thought I left this message earlier. I just don't know where it went.

Anonymous said...

okay, I am totally having breakfast with you, I LOVE grapefruit juice and spent some on myself this week. LOVE that stuff.... I can swig right from the jug b/c I am the only one drinking it.

good to know and LMBO at the bird thoughts... LOL
!

I will tag after M's bday this weekend, k?

Ormond Family said...

shanna,
My mom and I actually hit one of those crazy birds once, it was a really pretty pheasant and before we could get to the side of the road the car behind us stopped grabbed the pheasant and took off. Seriously bizarre!
Anyway, I posted your tag so check it out!
Michelle

Thrive In Hickville said...

LOL!! I loved reading your random things! That is so cool about the school record! And ewww on the grapefruit!! I was a really good kid, too. Never rebelled. Never even had the urge.

:)