Monday, May 2, 2011

Motherhood Matters: I Am a Mother

One of our local stations here is doing a Ten Day Challenge celebrating Motherhood.

I'm in. How about you?

-DAY ONE-
THE CHALLENGE:
Join us in declaring “I Am a Mother” and
share the message with five women in
your life.

“OF ALL THE RIGHTS OF WOMEN,
THE GREATEST IS TO BE A MOTHER.”
-LIN YUTAN

When I was younger my mom would ask me what I wanted to be when I got older. My answers were many and varied. I wanted to be a Zoo Keeper and then a Veterinarian. I also wanted to be a truck driver one week and then a Police Officer the next.

(If it were possible I totally would have been an Angel who worked for Charlie because they got to do all sorts of cool stuff...except I would have been a modest Angel...no bikini's for me.)

And my mom would softly ask "But don't you want to be a mom?"

By the time college rolled around I didn't. I didn't want to be a mom.

(Even though my course of study- Child Development and Family Studies-was in order to help me be a better mom. If nothing else I was a dichotomy)

I had 25 nieces and nephews who I had done much babysitting for during my short 18 years. So my dream was to move back East, become independently wealthy (not sure how I was going to accomplish that!) and have each of those nieces and nephews come out and spend their 16th Summer with me in my huge mansion.

Thankfully that dream didn't come true. Nor did any from my earliest childhood.

One marriage and four beautiful children later... I am a wife and

I Am a Mother.

And will forever be grateful that I am. I can't even begin to put into words what being a mother means to me.

I'm not going to lie. It's been HARD. Really, really hard. Harder than anything I could have imagined.

But in a good way.

And it's been wonderful...

and beautiful

and joyous

and fun!

I guess I still am a dichotomy....

and I Am a Mother.


6 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I love reading your blog. So eloquent!

Missy said...

Great post! Love this!

Shauna said...

LOVELY, Shanna. Thanks for sharing.

mCat said...

Great post - and such great timing for Mother's day when most of us are beating ourselves up for the failures we percieve.

Nikki said...

Oh Shanna, I just loved this post. You said it so well. and you're a great mom!

Cheeseboy said...

Besides my wife, I reckon you are about as good a mother as it gets.