Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Motherhood Challenge: I am a Mom!

-Day 3-


“FEW OF US WILL REACH OUR POTENTIAL WITHOUT
THE NURTURING OF BOTH THE MOTHER WHO BORE
US AND THE MOTHERS WHO BEAR WITH US.”
-SHERI L. DEW

Today's challenge is a good one. One that I need.

Each time I meet someone new or run into someone from the past this question comes up,

"So what do you do?" or "What are you doing now?"

And it depends on the situation, the day, my hormones and how my kids have been behaving how I have answered.

I'll be honest and there have been times that I've used the phrase "I'm just a mom." I don't really like it, but I've used it. And I've been gently (and not so gently) chastised for saying it.

There have been other times that I've loudly and proudly proclaimed "I'm a mom!"

I am a stay at home mom. I worked outside the home when Jona was a baby and it wasn't a good fit for me. Thankfully I have been blessed with an amazing husband who has done everything in his power to make it so that I have been able to be at home with our children.

There are days I love it and days that I totally understand why some animals devour their own young. But guess what? I can't change the fact that I am a mom. So the next time I get asked "What do you do?" I will happily answer "I'm a mom!"

Yes!
For today
and forever
and for always...

"I AM A MOM!"



6 comments:

wendy said...

And a good one I bet you are!!!!!
I've always hated that question too.
guess I'll have to rethink it.

mCat said...

That's always been a loaded question for me, because I have always worked outside the home. SO then I feel guilty for explaining what I do for money, and also putting the same emphasis on what I do for my children and family.

I alwasy envied the SAHM

Pedaling said...

I am Mother!

great post.
I'll take that challenge!

Cynthia said...

I loved being a SAHM but I hated answering that question- like I had to account for why I was 'wasting' my own potential. So not true and yet how I often felt. Sing it proud, Sista!

Of course, now that I work part-time I have the best of both worlds but no matter what, we should ALL be proud of our choices.

Besides, once you work at all you get the 'if you really cared about your kids, you'd be home full time' thing. We can't win if we play that game so let's not play it at all. Let's ALL be proud of who we are and what we've chosen. Woo!

tammy said...

The best job in the world to me is being a mom and I'm thankful every day for it. There were a few years I wasn't sure I'd get to be one, so I'm very thankful!

Nikki said...

What a wonderful post! I love it! And you've given me the encouragement to answer proudly.