Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Gimme a break...

So things really haven't slowed down around here in any way, shape or form. I keep hoping that things will but they don't. My dad went into the hospital on Saturday for severe pain and they never did figure out what caused it. I picked him up and took him home this morning he is doing fine now but they did have to give him some blood.

My sister went in for back surgery on Monday (the same back surgery that I had 5 years ago this exact time of year) and they ended up having to go in twice because of some complications. She also got one of those awful headaches that you can get whenever they do anything close to the spinal chord, so she's had to stay an extra day. I went up with her on Monday and sat with her son and daughter (they are older) during her surgery. I'll head back up tomorrow with her daughter to pick her up and bring her home. I also need to bake pies tomorrow.

Today I got up at 5:30 to read with my family and then I proceeded to make chili for a funeral and to send home with my sister when she comes home so she doesn't have to worry about food. I also made a batch of chili for us so at least dinner was taken care of early on and for tomorrow as well. My sister's youngest daughter came to stay with me until she was supposed to go to school at 8:45 when I drove her. I had to call my dr. at 8:30 to see if I could get an appointment to have him look at a rash that has developed on my face and made my left eyelid swell. As I'm on hold to speak with someone my mom calls, I ask if I can call her back. I get the appointment set for 9:45 and head out the door with my niece and j. in tow. In the car I called my mom back to see what she needed and as I'm talking with her my sister's oldest daughter calls on the other line, again I ask mom if I can call her back. They older niece asks if I can pick up the younger niece from school at 3:45, sure thing. Call my mom back, she needs me to come and sit with my grandma so that she can run out to her mom's house and get her meds because she's staying for longer than expected. Yep, I'll be there. Get to mom's house and thankfully grandma is still asleep. Mom leaves, the phone rings. It's my dad saying that they are releasing him and he needs someone to pick him up. I'll let mom know. By now it's 9:10 and so I call to see if mom has made it out to grandma's house so I can talk to her. She wasn't there but I left a message with her brother who was out there doing some fix it work, to have her call me when she arrives. I call my brother B. to see if he can come and sit with grandma until mom gets back so I can go and get ready for my appointment. He'll be right over. The door opens and mom comes in. She hasn't been out to grandma's yet she took my sil K. to work. She's stopping back to get keys and I let her know that her brother is out there, and that dad is ready to come home. Oh great. Who can sit with grandma. B. can't because what if grandma has to use the bathroom? She can't go on her own. So I tell mom I'll pick up dad when I get done at the dr.'s office. She leaves and Ben walks in. Thankfully he's willing to watch j. as well, since she is now thoroughly engrossed in a Noggin program. I get to dr.'s and thankfully do not have to wait long and I actually caught a little nap back in the examination room. The dr. doesn't know what is causing the rash. I'm thinking that it's somewhat stress involved and so does Ty. But he prescribes me some stuff to go on it. I head next door to the hospital to pick up dad and wait for about 40 minutes for the nurse to final come in and discharge him. In the mean time remembering that I need to drop that chili off to the funeral before 12:30. I did get it there by 12. Mom was kind enough to let j. stay there because j. wanted to stay there and hang out with grandpa. And I got out and got my grocery shopping done Yay! A few more things occurred between then and now, such as picking up my niece from school, taking the kids to piano, heading back to the store to pick up a turkey for my sister, picking up the kids at piano, making scones and getting dinner....stuff like that.

I really need a break. And thanks to my amazing husband I'm going to get one. We talked about what we should do since there wasn't anyone to take the kids while we got away. And he asked me why I asked if we could get away. And I told him. I asked because I really needed a break. I really needed to get away from everything for a few days. So he said that he would stay home with the kids and I could take off and spend some quality time with me, myself and I. I am SO grateful. I feel a little bit selfish but I know that this is something I really need. So Friday after Thanksgiving I'm heading out the door not for the shopping but to get some time to myself. I have the best husband in the world.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, that's hardly selfish! You should be getting time for yourself every week!!! Moms can't run a house if they're burnt out!

How long do you get to stay away????

Just SO said...

I'm leaving Friday and coming home on Sunday. Yay!

Anonymous said...

Where ya' going??? How exciting!!!!! :)

Just SO said...

I'm going to a hotel up in SLC. I want to be close in case anything should happen.

Anonymous said...

Well, you're a lucky gal. Have fun! Go shop for scrapbooking stuff or something! :)

Anonymous said...

good for you~ can't wait to read your blog about your get away!!! very happy for you woman!

Julie said...

So how was your get away???

I'm so glad you were able to get away, and Yeah! for Tyran in recognizing and making it possible for you to get some time away!

KTsMommy said...

What a day you had! I don't know how you fit it all in. I'm so glad you were able to get that much needed break in!!!!!

How are you, your dad and your sister doing now? Good, I hope!!!