Friday, November 28, 2008

Currently Reading

Wednesday I started a new book. I can't even remember where I found out about this book but the premise sounded interesting so I put it on my "to read" list at the local library. I picked it up on Monday and started reading it Wednesday in between baking pies and getting ready for Turkey day. I am about half way through it and I love it. I love it even though I will probably have to go back and read it a second and third time to begin to understand the things that are being offered to me. To glean truths from this book that will help me in my life. It is a work of fiction but what an amazing piece it is. I hope that I will love it through to the end. Right now I can't see how I wouldn't. The book I am reading is (if you haven't already noticed it in my sidebar).
This is about God and relationships. I can only read bits at a time so that I can digest what I have read and then go back and read some more. It's not very thick either. Usually I could sit and read a book this size in a half a day. Not this one though. Like I said I'll have to go back and re-read this. I will probably go out and purchase it so I can continue to come back to it.

It brings to mind another book that I love. Another work of fiction about God. It's very interesting. It is this book.

My favorite part of this book is this....

Once there lived a village of creatures along the bottom of a great crystal river. The current of the river swept silently over them all--young and old, rich and poor, good and evil, the current going its own way, knowing only its own crystal self.

Each creature in its own manner clung tightly to the twigs and rocks of the river bottom, for clinging was their way of life, and resisting the current what each had learned from birth. But one creature said at last, "I am tired of clinging. Though I cannot see it with my eyes, I trust that the current knows where it is going. I shall let go, and let it take me where it will. Clinging, I shall die of boredom."

The other creatures laughed and said, "Fool! Let go, and that current you worship will throw you tumbled and smashed across the rocks and you will die quicker than boredom!" But the one heeded them not, and taking a breath did let go, and at once was tumbled and smashed by the current across the rocks.

Yet in time, as the creature refused to cling again, the current lifted him free from the bottom, and he was bruised and hurt no more. And the creatures downstream, to whom he was a stranger, cried, "See a miracle! A creature like ourselves, yet he flies! See the Messiah, come to save us all!"

And the one carried in the current said, "I am no more Messiah than you. The river delights to lift us free, if only we dare let go. Our true work is this voyage, this adventure." But they cried the more, "Savior!" all the while clinging to the rocks, and when they looked again he was gone, and they were left alone making legends of a Savior.


I own Illusions. I'll probably pull it off the shelf to read sometime soon. Two books for your reading consideration. Both good and both have truths for you to find if you want.

4 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I haven't heard of either of these books! I really like the quote you posted.

Brooke said...

I haven't read either of these books either. I love to read and may have to go out and see if my library owns them.

K and/or K said...

I really want to read the Shack--I've heard great things. I'm thinking about downloading it onto my ipod for an upcoming plane ride.

tiburon said...

I have heard the Shack was a good one - I have it on my list.