Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Listen

I lay in bed this morning listening to the soft sounds above my head of my daughter shifting and moving around trying to get comfortable I was trying not to be annoyed by the squeaks that her movements were causing, keeping me from falling back into sleep for another hour or so.

Then I realized that was thankful for those squeaks.

Well not necessarily the squeaks themselves but I was thankful for the ability that I have to hear those movements. That I have the ability to hear at all. You may have seen this video if you haven't take a minute to watch.



There is a song that I grew up singing with a line in it that says...

"He gave me my ears that I might hear. The magical sound of things."

There are sounds that are truly magical.

Water flowing in a stream
The song of the first robin of Spring
Laughter of a child
A newborn's first cry
The words "I love you" whispered into your ear

So many wondrous and beautiful sounds.

So today I am thankful for my hearing. I hope that it sticks around for a long time.

1 comment:

mCat said...

I saw this when it first aired on TV and was just astounded. I tried to imagine how it would feel.

I still get choked up when I think about it