Saturday, January 1, 2011

Lessons Learned in 2010

  • That the television show Hoarders is a big motivational tool for me.
  • Always make sure that the people you love KNOW that you love them and appreciate them...you never know when they (or you) will be gone.
  • Saying I love you is one of the easiest things to do and one of the most difficult.
  • Death is a trans-formative event. Both for the person who dies (obviously) and for the people who are left behind.
  • That transformation can be a good one or it can be a bad one.
  • There are a lot of Peeps haters out there, which was surprising to me. How can one hate pure sugar?
  • Sunscreen is my friend.
  • I would literally melt if we lived in a humid place. I must be related to Elphaba.
  • It's all about Family and mine is amazing...warts and all.
  • The people who seem to be worried most about others judging them are sometimes the ones who are judging others the most, thus the fear of being judged.
  • That amazing joy can be found in the darkest of places...if one has faith...and hope.
  • Blog conferences can be fun even when you are hormonal.
  • The people in the blogging community are amazingly loving and supportive and they stick around even when I go for weeks without a post.
  • I love Girls Camp.
  • Don't put two liter bottles of soda on the back step in sub zero temps. They will explode.
  • Roasting peppers in a glass pan in the oven is a bad idea...unless you want a really clean oven.
  • I laugh when other people don't....a lot.
  • Laughter can be healing and cathartic.
  • You can Google just about anything but you may not get the answer you were seeking.
  • Comet cleaner should never be stored on the top shelf because if it's been opened and it falls it goes ev. er. y. where.
  • I'm more patient than my husband when it comes to teaching driving lessons to our 16 year old.
  • Just because you get a year older, doesn't make you a year wiser.
  • I will NEVER outgrow Sesame Street.
  • There are some people, who, no matter what I say or do will take offense.
  • There are some people who are looking for something to take offense at.
  • God is aware of me...not only aware of me but knows me personally and knows not only the big struggles I am facing but the small ones as well.
  • It is possible to catch a glimpse of heaven.
  • My big struggles may seem small to others...and that's okay. They are still mine and there is something I have to learn from them.
  • It's important to be Thankful.
  • Saying goodbye is hard.
  • I really don't like to cook.
  • I'm not very good at blogging consistently.
Any lessons that you've learned that you want to share?

18 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I need to be more aware of expressing gratitude and being aware of all I have.

I think you need to watch Strange Addictions, about the woman who actually eats Comet.

Brooke said...

I've learned that you're even more awesome that I thought a year ago. Plus you take some really good family pics....Happy new year! :)

Just Plain Tired said...

Pretty awesome list of things you learned this past year. I'm sure I learned something, maybe even several somethings, but the ability to remember anything has escaped me at the moment.

the fowlers said...

you learned lots.
i think i learned something - but i'd have to think about it.

Barbaloot said...

I want to test the pop thing. I'd like to see it explode:)
I learned you get out of a ward what you put into it. Every ward can be great if you expect it to be.

AS Amber said...

I love your year in review!

I learned that you are a very good friend. And that you've been through more this year than you had a right to.

And I learned that I swear too much.

Cheeseboy said...

I can't stand Peeps, except my own peeps, but I do not call them peeps.

Funny that you should say that about 2 liters. We gave our neighbors 2 liters and had to leave a couple on porches. They ended up exploding, just as you said. Nice gift from us, eh?

Erin said...

This is a great list of things you learned. I have yet to get to a blog conference. And I love the spiritual things you learned too.

Cynthia said...

Sounds like a great 'growth year' for you. Growth hurts sometimes- the bad part- but if we're aware, so much wonderful will come because of it. Sounds like you learned a lot in 2010!

Saimi said...

Great list, but the one that made me laugh out loud was the Comet! So true, so very, very true!!

I have yet to make it to a Bloggers Conference, glad I'm done teaching teenagers to drive...actually as it turned out, my boys are better drivers than I am. My driving must have scared them enough never want to drive like their mother!! HA!

Oh, and I love to laugh!!!

Happy New Year!!!

Missy said...

Hoarders makes me feel so good about my messy house! LOL
I laugh when others don't, a lot...

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

Best.List.Ever! I need a blog conference I think, I'm more hormonal than anyone alive! Oh yeah, and when Comet falls off the shelf and goes everywhere, make sure you close your eyes---ouchie.

wendy said...

My favorite....it is possible to catch a glimpse of heaven.

the rest are ALL my second favorite.
you learned a lot girl from last year.
I like laughter too...and I have been famous for laughing at things that, no. one. is laughing at.
I like my little universe I float around in.

I HOPE (my new word for new years) that we all have a great 2012.

I am ready....bring on the FUN (I hope)

Teachinfourth said...

I must apologize in advance for I am one of the notorious Peeps haters out here in the void of the Internet.

Ah well, at least I still have Neil Diamond...

Leslie said...

I loved reading your list and getting to know you better. I may have to copy your idea because that's a really great list.

p.s. I think you are so funny!

mCat said...

Great list - in fact I learned many of those same things myself this past year. I also learned that there are a lot of dogs that pee on my lawn that I wasn't aware of before. Snow filled front yards will teach you that.

Bonnie the Boss said...

You are an amazing woman, thanks for sharing.

Lara Neves said...

Great list, Shanna. I love watching Hoarders, too, it has definitely made me get rid of a lot of stuff and it feels good.

The rest of your list was good to read.

This year I learned that saying no to people is important for my sanity, even if I havent' quite learned how to do it yet.