Sunday, October 19, 2008

What's in a Name

As I've surfed the blogging world I love seeing what every one comes up with for the names of their blogs and I wonder the thought process that went into it.

For instance. When I first started this blog I called it the Lilly Pad because that's a name that I've used on bulletin boards that I frequent. But then I changed it to Slacker Mom because I've felt like such a slacker as a mom off and on.

Then I decided to go with Just So. Why the jump from Slacker Mom to Just So? Because the So in Just So are/is(?) my first and last initials. My blog is about me, S.O. It's not because I have to, or even like or want to have everything "Just So". Far from it.

Most nights I go to bed with dishes in the sink. There is a large hole in our linoleum in the middle of our kitchen and another in the floor by the dishwasher that is held together by duct tape. My kids often have hot dogs or cereal for dinner. My laundry piles up and beds don't get made. I yell at my kids more than I should. I get my feelings hurt. My husband and I disagree on things. I love my kids even when I yell at them. I love my husband even when we disagree. I get my feelings hurt and get over it (most of the time).

In short I'm human. I'm just like most women. My life is not Just so. This blog is. It's just me.

A place for me to put things down that I probably wouldn't otherwise. I have a bad memory and I should keep a journal but I don't. So it's nice to have a place where I can go back and look and see what I was doing or thinking at a certain time. Like when I had back surgery. I can never remember that. (The actual dates...I can remember the surgery itself thankyouverymuch) But I can go back to an older blog that I have and see what the dates where when I posted about it.

That's the long and the short of it. What about you? Did you pick one name for you blog and stick with it or was it an evolution of sorts? You can comment about it here or post on your blog and let me know so I can come and read.

14 comments:

Erin said...

I like how you came up with the name of your blog. Mine originally had out last name in the title, and when my husband graduated with his Ph.D. in August and started seeing clients (he's a psychologist), I didn't want our last name out there anymore for potential stalkers (the literal kind that he may work with). So I had to change it, and I thought through a few things before I came up with one based on Laura Numeroff's "If you give a...." books. That is why mine is called "If you give a mom a moment."

Fun post!

Kristina P. said...

Yeah, mine is pretty self explanatory.

When I started the blog, I was very green to the blogging world, and I didn't think about having my name all over everything.

If I were to do it again, I would change it, but I have so many readers now, that people know my blog name, and I think it would be confusing to change it. It is what it is.

Wendyburd1 said...

Well, my blog is a new thing, but I knew I was gonna pick the name...well I added the...by Wendy at the last minute. I am a pessimist by nature...maybe it goes with the deression, et al., but I heard the phrase "pessimistic optimist" once and it is such an oxymoron and...fits me so well. And for some odd reason I like the word "meanderings"...LOL...so I think it fits me as I am pretty well...hopefully!!

*MARY* said...

Mine started as

My Little Star
a star is to the universe as my blog is to the wonderful world of web

Then

Mary Tong
my life on your screen

Now

Mary
had a little glob

I change it every time I change the layout.

Unknown said...

My web name has our family name in it, and now everyone is scaring me with web stalkers so I wonder if I have to change it- but will I lose my links> Probably, so I may hold out.

My blog name is "Better than we deserve" becasue it is one of Dave Ramsey's motto. He is our financial IDOL, and he says no matter what you have, it is more than you deserve. Good Point.

PS- I have lots of holes in my linoleum, too. My kitchen needs an overhaul, but life moves on and it will have to wait.

Anonymous said...

Okay, good to hear I'm not the only one that has a hole or tear in the kitchen linoleum. I feel much better in revealing that.

And as far as my blog name. I am still trying to find the right fit. I will have to post about it!

Me (aka Danielle) said...

I enjoyed this post! Its funny, I was thinking about this very topic, and how my own blog name came in to be..just this morning. I had considered posting on this very topic -after reading this, I AM going to post about it sometime soon.

TJ said...

It's fun to hear how people named their blogs. my address is whatdoestjstandfor.blogspot because people always ask me what the intials stand for & I like the double meaning of what I personally stand for. The title on my blog goes back and forth between My name is Tj and My name is TJ but you can call me Mat, (as in door mat). It just depends on how spineless I feel at the time.

Jillene said...

I decided it and haven't changed it. I decided on Jillene's Journal because I wanted it to be a journal of my life and the everyday going's on's.

i'm erin. said...

I always wondered why you wrote just so, but now I get it...that is way deeper than the name I came up with...we were just living in hawaii when i started it, so I decided to call it the Summerill surf.

See not very deep...shanna, you are my deep thinkin' friend.

Anonymous said...

Well, I have always been neurotic - and embrace it to a degree. I think it's funny. If I remember correctly saw "neurotic chic" as a term somewhere when I was looking for ideas related to "neurotic". I suppose I hope to make neuroses chic? LOL

Just SO said...

I love hearing how everyone came up with their names.

And Festi...you totally make neuroses chic!

Wendy said...

I love just so! that name made me want to come and see who just so was! I did my blog, I was going to do starving artist, but clearly we are not starving! so I came up with house of art, and going incognito is pretty obvious!
I love everyones names, they all fit them

Goob said...

I needed to come up with a name that didn't include our family name as we have a very rare name and a very good, but undisclosable reason why we don't want our whereabouts cast all over the web. (hint **we're not celebrities...lol) Anyways, I have wild and crazy hair, and my children have inherited it. My husband would too if he didn't shave it off. My dad used to call me "Clanna" (because I thought Clan of the Cave Bear was a story about a cave bear named Clanna) when my hair was wild. One day it popped in my brain that it would be a funny, and anonymous, blog name. Right now its Clan of the Cave Bots because we're into robots for Halloween. It will be back to Clan of the Cave Hair November 1st.