Monday, October 6, 2008

Difficult Decisions

Today Ty and I followed through on a difficult decision that our family had to make. We had to decide whether or not to keep our two dogs. With the weather getting colder and us needing to make them shelter if they were going to stay we had to make the decision quickly.

In fairness to the dogs we decided to give them up. :( We live next to an apartment complex and the fence that borders it is just a chain link fence with those plastic slats in it. That and the dumpster for the complex is right next to our fence. Because of that people are always out there dumping garbage and getting in and out of cars. The kids in the complex play back there a lot too. Why, I don't know because I wouldn't be happy with my kid playing in a parking lot, but I digress. These kids that play back there tease our dogs. And I have a feeling that some of the adults who come out to throw their garbage out do to.

Zeke would charge the fence and bark and bark at them. We were getting to the point where we were afraid that he would bite someone if they put their hand close enough. Zoe is deaf and partially blind. We thought we could work with her but we haven't been able to. She jumps up on anyone to the point where the kids have hated going in the back yard. So no one would go out back and play with them.

So those things along with the fact that gas prices are still high and food seems to go higher each time we go shopping, those things all factored into the decision to give them up.

Ty and I took them to the Humane Society of Utah this morning. I cried, we both cried as we left them there. I hope that they get adopted out. I think that they will they are medium dogs and both really loving and cute. I can't think too much about it because I get emotional about it.

Goodbye my doggies I love you and will miss you.

9 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Oh, I'm so sorry! Sometimes it's the best thing to do for everyone.

I've been trying to convince my coworker to sell or give away his dogs. He has no time for them, they are tearing up his place, and in turn, he gets really angry and takes it out on them. Not fair to anyone.

Tyran, the Yeti Yogi said...

Heartbreaking, absolutely so. I know it was right, I know it but I am still absolutely torn up by it. I've already checked the web site three times to see if they've been listed yet.

Just SO said...

I know. I've checked the site as well.

Kristina... that was another reason. They were tearing up the back yard because they were bored because no one was playing with them.

*MARY* said...

Sorry, I know that's got to be tough. My family recently had to give their dog to a shelter as well, my little brother was in tears.

Jillene said...

So hard to do!! We had to give up our first dog Koda because Hannah was TERRIFIED of dogs. It was such a hard thing to do!! He was a good boy but Hannah wouldn't get out of the crib or highchair when he was around. She would cry endlessly and scream in terror. We had to take him to the shelter so she would be comfy in her own home. )0: I know how you feel!!

Anonymous said...

Sorry, that is sure tough. My boys and I were just talking about how great it would be to have a dog but we also realized that it just couldn't fit into our lives right now. :(

Wendy said...

I am so sorry, I love my doggies so much, the puppy isn't in our hearts yet, but Jax is like on of our kids!! I would be heartbroken.
we did have to put a dog to sleep that we got at the shelter, we tried for a few years with her and she was crazy. It was awful, I am glad that your dogs will get a second chance... sometimes the best choice is the hardest.

Anonymous said...

Big HUGE hugs, S. We gave up Kasey a couple of years ago and I never dreamed it would be as hard as it was. I felt like the worst person on the face of the earth when Scott dropped her off. It took a good week for the big feelings of guilt to dissipate.

I'm sorry you had to make that decision. I know it's one you didn't take lightly. {{{HUGS}}}

Wendyburd1 said...

Oh that is so sad! *Huggles* I couldn't bear the thought of losing Max. I will send good doggy vibes their way, so some 5 year old will fall in love and adopt them SOON!! That sucks!!