Thursday, October 2, 2008

On the outside looking in

Yesterday my niece went to the temple to receive her endowments. She is getting married tomorrow. I am so excited and happy for her. She's marrying a young man that she's known for years and years. Their families went deer hunting together each fall so they kind of grew up together. He's a good guy and I think that they will be happy.

So yesterday I'm getting all ready to go to the temple and attend the session with her. I'm all dressed except for shoes. Ty has taken the J and dropped him off at Young Men's and is coming back to get me and then we are going to pick my mom up.

Before I get my shoes on I grab my purse to get my temple recommend out. Because, hey if I don't have that recommend they aren't letting me in the door. I grab my purse because that is where I keep that all important little piece of paper. I keep it in a little holder in my purse so that I will know where it is at all times. Except...

It isn't there. What? I know that's where I put it. That's where I keep it so I know where to find it. I tore the purse apart. I tore the rest of the house apart looking for it. I looked in my temple dress to see if I left it in my pockets (multiple times). Nope. It was nowhere to be found. I told Ty to head on out and take my mom so that they could be there. I would continue looking for it until the last possible minute. I told him to apologize to my niece for me.

I still haven't found it. Last night I cleaned the pit that was my kitchen to see if it might have been buried in the papers on the hutch but it wasn't there. This morning I have mucked out the stall that is my office to see if it was somewhere in here. Nope. (I did find my lost insurance card though). The thing is I distinctly remember putting it in my purse and keeping it there.

Tomorrow is her wedding. She and her fiance will be sealed in the temple so I NEED to find that recommend or see if there's any way I can get a new one. I have to be there tomorrow.

Last night I was, for all intents and purposes, on the outside of the temple looking in. I wanted so badly to be there with my niece and her family, and everyone else but I couldn't, and there wasn't a thing I could do about it. It wasn't a good feeling. I'm wondering if I'm being taught a lesson. A lesson on about attending the temple more often so that I am more aware of where my recommend is and how important temple attendance is.

A lesson about how I need to live my life. About how I need to make changes in my life so that when my time comes I am not left on the outside looking in.

11 comments:

Kristina P. said...

This happened to my aunt, when she attended my brother's wedding. The temple worker just called her bishop or stake president, and was able to get the go ahead. I bet you with the bar code system now, it would be easier to do so.

I know how you feel! My wallet was stolen at work, the day we were supposed to go to the temple, many years ago. It sucked. (Can I say "Suck" and "Temple" in the same sentence? Good.)

Anonymous said...

Hope you find it before the wedding. actually i am not worthy to go to the temple, so I took it out of your purse! Sorry I didn't know you would be needing it back so quickly.

Anonymous said...

Gosh, I hope you find it in time!!! Not being LDS I am wondering if they can issue you a new one in time? Your bishop or something? Or is it a one shot deal?

*MARY* said...

My kids are always getting into my purse and then hiding it's contents. If you can't find it just call your bishop, he'll know what to do. I'm sure this kind of stuff happens all the time.

Just SO said...

Well I couldn't find it. Thankfully I have an "in" with the bishop. He's my brother, AND it's his daughter that's getting married SO I'm pretty sure he can make an appt. for me.

I also know one of the members of the Stake Presidency pretty well and he's good friends with my brother so I'm hoping that I can get a new one today.

Festi, a temple recommend is good for two years. Usually they do recommend interviews on Sundays but in cases like this they can sometimes make exceptions.

I'm just glad that it wasn't tomorrow morning that I was searching for it!

Jillene said...

BUMMER!! Everytime I say out loud that I am going to the temple--something bad ALWAYS happens. Stupid Satan!!

I need to go more often too. It is hard when you have small children--the whole babysitting thing but I also need to make a better effort!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, I am Baptist and could totally get on a preaching high horse right now, but I will not out of respect for you and your religion cause I'm just nice that way.

I hope you get things figured out in time for the wedding.

TJ said...

Have you checked ebay? cuz I heard someone tried to sell one there.

Anonymous said...

Hope every thing worked out for you.
The pit you described reminded me of my own pit of papers waiting for me to go through. These last couple of weeks I have been in a stressed out frenzy looking for my scriptures, sure I have other sets of scriptures but these were ones I had marked so diligently with my thoughts of inspirations. Ugh! I've looked everywhere, at home and at church.

gurrbonzo said...

OH NO! I can't take the suspense! What happened? I need closure.

Thrive In Hickville said...

Wow!!! I'm glad you have an "in" with the bishop, but I know that feeling of frantically looking for something. I haven't been here for a while, and am loving the look of your blog!!!