Friday, March 14, 2014

Listen! Do you smell something?

Change.  

I smell change.

Change is in the air.


I feel like life has been picking up speed lately and it doesn't look to be slowing down any time soon.  I am not a fan of a fast paced life. Which is one of the reasons why I don't run.

 (HA! Do  you see what I did there?)

But I don't mind change (most of the time). Do you?

One of the bigger changes coming my way is that my mom is going to be moving in with us at the end of April.  I am nervous and excited and happy about this change all at once.  I know that it's going to be a big adjustment for everyone and I also know that this is a change for the better.

I love my mom.  She is one of the most selfless, kind, generous, Christlike people that I know.  I look back over the years and I am amazed at everything that she did.  Her life has been one of sacrifice.  She selflessly gave of herself and always put others before her.  The time has come where she needs to be put first.

I am genuinely looking forward to having her sweet presence in our home.  One of the hardest parts of this all is that in doing this my mom will be selling her house.  The house where myself and my seven siblings were all born and raised.

That will be a difficult change. Thankfully we have a lifetime full of memories.

Memories of sitting on the back lawn snipping beans, the years and years of breakfasts on the Fourth of July, filling up the canoe with water and using it as our swimming pool, playing in the irrigation water, watching my brothers wrestling on the living room floor and hearing my mom or dad yell "Take it outside!", memories of the fires in the fireplace and dad sleeping in his recliner, chopping wood with my dad to feed that fire, the metal shopping cart from I don't know where that held the wood for the fire, mom making homemade bread and scones on a Saturday afternoon, sitting at the top of the stairs and yelling down to my brothers "Get up and milk the cows!" so we could open our presents on Christmas morning, the pocket door that was closed on Christmas morning so we couldn't peek in and see what Santa had brought, the ironing board built into the wall, listening as the guys sat around the kitchen table and planned out the deer hunt, waking up in the Spring and looking excitedly out the back window hoping that the sheep in the back pasture had given birth during the night, memories of kneeling down as a family in the front room and having family prayer of blessings given, memories of laughter and memories with tears. and so many, many more.

I am grateful that I had the childhood that I did.  It was a lovely place to grow up and seeing it change hands will not be easy.  But it is definitely time for this change to happen.

Yes, change is definitely in the air.


1 comment:

Vanessa said...

Change is always hard. But, I believe in you!