Friday, November 8, 2013

I weigh 236 pounds

Or there about.  It depends on the time of day and what I'm wearing when I step on the scales.

(And no I don't have a problem telling people my weight.  OBVIOUSLY.  It is just a number. It doesn't define who I am.)

But let's say someone was describing me to you and they told you I weighed 236 pounds how big would you imagine me to be?

Take a look at this info-graphic talking about the shrinking size of airline seats and the growing size of (I'm ASSuming) an average sized human.


Do you see that?  That extra large graphic that they have at the end.  Look closely and see what the weight is for an average female.

166 pounds.  I wish you could hear me screaming this in my head.

166 POUNDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look at the graphic.  Look at it.  The rounded abdomen, how the arms are bowed out an around like the poor 166 POUND person couldn't put her arms straight down because....HELL... SHE IS HUGE!

Now let me tell you something else.

In college I weighed 163 pounds.  That was when I was in top physical condition.  I was a college athlete.  I worked pretty much daily.  At that weight my size was between an 8 and 10.  I felt pretty good about myself.

But hey, now? After seeing this graphic.   NOW I know better.  NOW I see what I REALLY must have looked like to everyone else.

I must have looked like a fat $#%.

So, I wonder what I look like to people now?  At 236 pounds.

Gosh I shouldn't even be able to walk.  I should be like Violet in Charlie and the Chocolate factory and have to be rolled around.

It is no wonder there so many people with body image issues.




4 comments:

Lara Neves said...

That is really stupid. Sure, if you're 5 feet tall and have an apple body shape, 166 pounds MIGHT look like that.

I weigh between 169-172, depending on the day. My BMI is normal when I weigh 169, but overweight at 172, so I'm on the cusp. That said, I'm thinner than I've been in years, and I think I'm looking pretty svelte lately. And since I'm tall (like you!), if I weigh less than about 145, I will be underweight. And I'll look like it.

This infographic could have made its point without the offensive people pictures just fine.

Shauna said...

Shana, I am morbidly obese on paper. But I can still buy jeans (albeit, closer to the largest size generally) at Old Navy. I think there must be some dumb person making this kind of stuff up to make us all feel badly about ourselves and buy more donuts, or diet pills, or both. Stand tall and be happy. You are a fierce, fine woman! And that graphic is just lame.

Deanna and Gary said...

High (there's no picture of me on that chart) five! And somehow Im ok with that. My weight does not define me.

mCat said...

When I saw this graph come out, I thought "what bullcrap!"

So tired of the way society shoves it down our throats of how women "should" look, weigh, wear etc.