Tuesday, October 6, 2009

More about Love

Yesterday I posted the impressions I got from President Uchtdorf's talk about how a true disciple of Christ is full of Love.

In today's post I'm focusing on President Henry B. Eyring's talk about Love as well.

Love was a bit theme for me this conference. Huge.

Without further ado my thoughts on President Eyring's talk. I'll have more of my own voice in this post.

"We share a desire to become better than we are. Now there may be a few who mistakenly believe they are good enough. And a few who have given up trying to be better. But for all the message of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ is that we can and must expect to become better as long as we live."

Gosh I have fallen into both of those categories at one time or another. I am sad to say that you will usually find me either place instead of actually striving to become better. *sigh*

"Love is the motivating principle by which the Lord leads us along the way towards becoming like Him."

"It is love of God that will lead us to keep His commandments. And love of others is at the heart of our capacity to obey Him."

I really understand the first part of this statement. The second part? Not so much. Anyone want to share your thoughts on this?

"He has offered us the family as an example of an ideal setting in which we can learn how to love as He loves. That is because the greatest joys and the greatest sorrows we experience are in family relationships. The joys come from putting the welfare of others above our own. That is what love is. And the sorrow comes primarily from selfishness which is the absence of love."

That right there is truth. So true.

"First I give counsel to husbands and wives:
  • Pray for the love which allows you to see the good in your companion
  • Pray for the love which makes the weaknesses and mistakes seems small.
  • Pray for the love to make your companions joy your own.
  • Pray for the love to lessen the load and soften the sorrows of your companion."
What would the divorce rate be if spouses were to pray for these things? I know that I can do so much better in this area. I love my husband. I need to let him know that more and if I follow this advice how much more will my love for him grow?

"To the parents of a wandering child.
'Pray for your careless and disobedient children.
Hold on to them with your faith.
Hope on.
Trust on.
Until you see the salvation of God'
(Orson F. Whitney)"


"You can pray for your children. Love them. Reach out to them with confidence that Jesus reaches for them with you."

I don't have any wayward children and I hope and pray not to have to deal with that. But I do and have had wayward siblings. The Orson F. Whitney quote that was used resounded in my soul and has re-awakened hope that has been dormant for too long. My mother still holds on to them with her faith. She is amazing.

"For all of us it may be hard to see in our lives an increasing power to love and becoming more like our Savior our perfect example. I wish to encourage you. You have had evidences that you are moving along the road to becoming more like Jesus. It will help to remember how you have felt, at times, like a little child even in the midst of cares and trials."

Oh to have the faith of a little child again.

"Because of His atonement for you, your childlike obedience will bring a feeling of love of the Savior for you and your love for Him. That is on of the gifts that is promised to His faithful disciples. And this gift can come not only to you alone but also to the loving members of your family. A promise was given in third Nephi 'And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord. And great shall be the peace of they children.' "

I need to work on being more childlike. Especially in my obedience.

"None of us is perfect yet. But we can have frequent assurance that we are following along the way."


My favorite word in that quote? Yet.

Yet.

Yet.

11 comments:

Tyran, the Yeti Yogi said...

"And love of others is at the heart of our capacity to obey Him."

What was Christ's great injunction to all of His disciples? Love one another. Think about every covenant you have made, isn't every one about loving others? Even chastity is about loving your current or future spouse.

Jules AF said...

Thank you for sharing that first quote.

tammy said...

I loved this talk too. "Yet" has been a motivation word in my life.

Jillene said...

I got the same feeling from Conference--all about Love. It was wonderful as is this post!!

Jessica G. said...

"selfishness is the absences of love." Amen to that!

Fiauna said...

"Yet." That's so hopeful. I love it!

Pedaling said...

love was a dominant message this time, wasn't it.
something i need to give more freely of.
it is the most powerful source of motivation and change, i think, within a person.
something to remember as parents and family members.

AW Cake! said...

I super loved conference. Thanks.

Teachinfourth said...

That word, "yet," is one which gives me hope...

mCat said...

This morning on the way to my appointment, SIL and I were discussing a partiular talk about wayward children since we both deal with it. She shared words of comfort, many that are exactly what you have in this post.

And I too, love the word YET.

That Girl said...

I beautiful summary. Thank you.