Thursday, March 5, 2009

Another untimely demise

If you remember just a couple of days ago we said a sorrowful farewell to our waffle iron.

Yesterday we lost another small appliance. Our stereo in our front room gave it up after fifteen years. Yes fifteen years of music and magic. It was getting old. You couldn't turn it up using the actual volume knob on it any more because doing that would only turn it down. Thankfully there was a remote and the remote would make the volume work.

Unfortunately yesterday as I was in the midst of moving the front room around I caused the stereo to meet and early death. I was trying to put it back in the bookcase and in doing so it fell out of my hands and onto the floor. I did try to resuscitate it. Took all the screws out and took the back panel off even though it told me not to do so because of a risk of electric shock. But I did. I took my life into my hands to see if I could bring back life into my stereo.

It was not to be. It was getting power to it but when you tried to turn it on nothing happened. So I sadly, I had to pull the plug.

Farewell fine stereo who played many hours of enjoyable music. You served us well. (except for the times in this last little while when you've played that darn Katy Perry "Hot n' Cold" song FAR too often, but then nothings perfect.)

May your tuner find many new and wonderful stations free of static and Green Tea Lady and SuperDell commercials.

I bid you adieu.

15 comments:

Kristina P. said...

That's a long time for a stereo! I am sorry for your loss.

Lara Neves said...

I think losing a stereo is much more difficult than losing a waffle iron, all things considred. I will have a moment of silence for yours.

Ours died 3 years ago, and we still haven't replaced it. The little boom box CD player for 20 bucks just isn't quite the same.

Lisa Summerhays said...

Life with out music is a sad life indeed. Hopefully you have back up. :)

Me (aka Danielle) said...

So sad! My sympathy goes out to you! ;)

Jo said...

Farewell to your friend. It sounds like it really lived much longer than most, so I suppose it was on its last wires anyway. And now, let the fun begin! The shopping for a new one!

mCat said...

What's a stereo? JK - it's just been so long since I have seen one or heard reference to one. Everyone is so into the ipod's and mp3 players and their accessories that a real stereo was becoming outdated.

A fond adieu to your family friend!

Vanessa said...

Melissa stole my witty comment.

My kids found a TAPE and asked what it was. They were mesmerized.

Jules AF said...

Everything's just dyiiing now.... I don't know what that's about.

AW Cake! said...

Fifteen years??? What were you feeding it to make it last that long? I must be doing something wrong, because we have to bury a new one in the back yard about every 4-5 years.

Anonymous said...

Well, you'll remember when I told the story of doing the same thing to our big living room TV that had been working just fine until I rearranged... Not fun when the death happens at your own hands.

Jillybean said...

Sorry to hear of your loss.

If it makes you feel any better, we lived in our house for three years before DH actually hooked up our sterio so it would work. Until then, it just sat there in the entertainment center gathering dust.

tammy said...

Things like that usually happen in 3's so I'd stay away from any appliance that you'd actually like to keep.

Mark Lee said...

"I did try to resuscitate it. Took all the screws out and took the back panel off even though it told me not to do so because of a risk of electric shock. But I did. I took my life into my hands to see if I could bring back life into my stereo."

I choked on my water. Very funny. In an appropriately sad and somber way, that is.

Wendyburd1 said...

What a tragedy! I can only hope a new one can find it's place in your heart!

Bobie said...

I'm so sorry for your loss!