Monday, October 5, 2009

The Internet Rocks

And this is why. I can go to lds.org and listen to my favorite talks from General Conference and take better notes because I can stop it and start it so I can get everything down that I want to.

I can also go back and watch the Saturday afternoon session which I missed entirely.

I truly believe that I heard messages that were meant just for me.

I hope you don't mind if I share two of that I felt spoke directly to me here. I'll share one today and one tomorrow.

BTW my laptop totally died on me as I was typing up this post. But I will not let it deter me. There is a message here that I believe is amazingly wonderful. There are truths to be found in these words. Words that have come from God through his servants on the earth today. So I'm not going to let a little thing like a bum laptop stop me from sharing them.

(Although prayers for the recovery of said laptop would be appreciated. )

The first talk is from President Dieter F. Uchtdorf who was the last speaker of the first session on Saturday. He spoke on how we become a true disciple of Christ. If you want to hear the whole talk you can go here.

Here is what stood out to me (emphasis added by me) and yes this is a long, long post but I believe every word in it is precious and will help and guide those who take the time to read it. They are not my words, but I love them and wish to share them.

"Because love is the great commandment it ought to be at the center of all and everything we do in our own family, in our church family and in our livelihood. Love is the healing balm that repairs rifts in personal and family relationships. It is the bond that unites families communities and countries."

"Love is the power that initiates friendship, tolerance, civility and respect. It is the source that over comes divisiveness and hate."

"Love is the fire that warms our lives with unparalleled joy and divine hope."

"Love should be our walk and our talk."

With love "Obedience becomes a joy rather than a burden."

"Now why should we love God? God, The Eternal Father, did not give that first great commandment because He needs us to love Him. his power and glory are not diminished should we disregard, deny or even defile His name. His influence and dominion extend through time and space, independent of our acceptance approval or admiration. No God does not need us to love Him, but oh how we need to love God."

"What we love determines what we seek.
What we seek determines what we think and do. What we think and do determines who we are
and who we become."

"We are Gods spirit children, therefore we have a vast capacity of love."

"What and how we love not only defines us as individuals, it also defines us as a church. Love is truly the defining characteristic of a disciple of Christ."

"At the heart of misery from the days of Adam until today you will find the love of wrong things. And at the heart of JOY you will find the love good things. And the greatest of all good things is God."

"We love Him because He first loved us."

"God does not look on the outward appearance. I believe that He doesn't care one bit if we live in a castle or a cottage. If we are handsome or homely. If we are famous or forgotten. Though we are incomplete God loves us completely. Though we are imperfect He loves us perfectly. Though we may feel lost and without compass. Gods love encompasses us completely. He loves us because he is filled with an infinite measure of holy and indescribable love."

"We are important to God not because of our resume but because we are His children. He loves everyone of us. Even those who are flawed rejected, awkward, sorrowful or broken. God's love is so great that he loves even the proud, the selfish, the arrogant and the wicked."

"Our infinitely compassionate Heavenly Father
desires that we draw near to Him
so that He can draw near to us."


"Since God is love the closer we approach Him the more profoundly we experience love."

"Heaven may seem distant at times but the scriptures offer hope..."Ye shall seek me and find me. When ye shall search for me with all your heart."

"Don't ever get discouraged if you stumble at times."

"The first step to walking in righteousness is simply to try. Try and keep on trying until that which seems difficult becomes possible and that which seems only possible becomes habit and a real part of you."

"The divine love of God turns ordinary acts into extra ordinary service. Divine love is the motive that transports simple words into sacred scripture. Divine love is the factor that transforms reluctant compliance with Gods commandments into blessed dedication and consecration."

"Love is the measure of our faith, the inspiration for our obedience and the true altitude of our discipleship. Love is the way of the disciple."

"Let us all be known as a people who love God with all our heart, soul and mind and who love our neighbor as ourselves."


13 comments:

Amander said...

LOVED Elder Uchtdorf's talk. Seriously, was my favorite of the whole thing.

Lara Neves said...

Everything was so wonderful this conference. I loved Pres. Uchtdorf's talk, too.

And I loved the way you emphasized certain things. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Christa said...

I missed all but a small amount of the Sunday morning session because we were traveling. So, I too am very grateful I can find it all on the Internet. It was what I was planning on doing tomorrow because my laundry is finally done. After reading this, I am now looking forward to it even more.

springrose said...

I love President Uchdorf, and I loved his talk! I needed to hear it. Reading these words his voice comes into my head. Thanks for this reminder!

Kristina P. said...

Elder Uchtdorf is seriously a rock star.

Erin said...

Thank you for sharing the parts of the talk that really spoke to you. What precious thoughts and truths!

Barbaloot said...

Thanks for sharing/reminding. I love the quote about despite us being incomplete, God still loves us completely...though we are imperfect, he loves us perfectly...just comforting to hear.

Shawn said...

I TIVO'd most of conference, as I had a rehearsal and then a gig on Sat.----but I will be listening to it---thanks for the great heads up as to the great talk!

Emmy said...

I loved his talk to. That quote you put in orange was one of my favorite quotes too.
There are a few things in my life I need to love a little less and some things I need to love more.

tammy said...

I listened to every session, but I still like to go back and listen again.

elesa said...

Yeah, this IS why the internet is so great. Sometimes I think about getting rid of it, but how could I live without stuff like this? Darn you internet! Why are you so awesome??

Teachinfourth said...

I remember a song I'd heard years ago and this weekend I finally understood it, the lyrics said, "Sometimes God's children should be seen and not heard."

I think that a lot of what we do believe should be evidenced in the way we live our lives. Doers of the word, and not just speakers of it only...

Just my little 'pedestal' moment.

Thanks for indulging me.

mCat said...

Thanks for this post! I needed the words today. I missed them Saturday. I too love the internet for this very reason, I have much to catch up on from this past weekend.