Monday, October 26, 2009


Dad,
It's been a year since we said goodbye.
A whole year.
Halloween without you there to exclaim over my kids' costumes.
Thanksgiving dinner with you missing from your chair at the table.
Christmas without you on the couch enjoying your family and grandkids all around you.
A Winter where it wasn't you laying the fire in the wood burning stove and keeping the living room toasty warm.
No trips down to "the shed" for visits while you rolled copper and listened to Johnny Cash.
Summer wasn't the same since you were missing from the rows of beans in the garden.
I missed you on the Fourth of July.

Oh how I miss you.

Yet at the same time you have been there. I have felt your presence and your love strongly.

And I think...

It's been a year where you have felt no pain.
Where you have been able to stand straight and tall and walk with your head held high.
It's been time you've been able to spend with your mom and dad and grandparents that are there with you. Give them my love.
I'm sure you've played with those great-grandchildren who have passed on as well as those who have joined our family this year.
As I am sure you are playing those who are getting ready to join our family.

Last night we enjoyed some chocolate cake and seven minute frosting as we gathered in your memory. That was always one of your favorite things. I miss you. I love you. And I'll see you again some day.

Until then keep watching over us. Okay?

Love,
Your Daughter

18 comments:

Madalyn said...

That is a beautiful letter.

Emmy said...

What a wonderful tribute.

Kristina P. said...

I didn't realize it had been a year. This is an amazing letter and I know he's proud of you.

Pedaling said...

heartwarming, tender post.

Erin said...

Very beautiful. Thank you for sharing a little bit of your dad with us.

Amander said...

This is such a sweet post. I think you were lucky to have him as a dad and he was lucky to have you as a daughter.

mCat said...

Well done So. A beautiful and touching post. A real tribute to your Dad. And as years pass, it will often feel exactly as it does now.....

mCat said...

Let me finish.

I mean that in a GOOD way!

muggins mahooney said...

Did you know you're awesome Shanna? You are.

Liz Mays said...

That was beautiful. I was just crying today in the car as I was missing my dad. I lost him a year ago as well.

It's so hard. So hard.

Me (aka Danielle) said...

Such an amazing tribute. Truly a beautiful letter!

{hugs}

Rachel Sue said...

This was lovely.

Teachinfourth said...

Shanna, I can't even begin to say how close to home this really hit; however, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

Thanks for sharing. Thanks for listening. Thanks for being.

Wendyburd1 said...

Lovely. ((HUGS))

sisterwendy said...

Thanks for putting in words what many of us feel. It was 20 years in Sept. since my dad passed, and you still voiced my thoughts. xoxox

Anonymous said...

Beautiful letter...i can relate with the things you said in this letter.. the things that were shared... the memories ... thank you for sharing this with us in the bloggin world..

Anonymous said...

btw your blog is beautiful...

Anonymous said...

can't believe it's been a year already.... beautiful words