Wednesday, September 24, 2008

One Nostril or Two?

I'll take two nostrils please.

If you have seen the movie Chinatown you probably remember the scene where Jack Nicholson get's caught in an ally by some thugs. As one thug is holding poor Jack the other thug says

"You're a very nosy fellow, kitty cat. Huh? You know what happens to nosy fellows? Huh? No? Wanna guess? Huh? No? Okay. They lose their noses."

And then he totally slits Jack's nose! I saw that scene last night on AFI's 10 top10. It was in the top 10 mystery movies. I actually haven't seen Chinatown. And seeing that clip made it so I don't really want to.

I watched that clip as I struggle to breathe through my nose. I have a sinus infection of some sort that's been coming on since Sunday night. I've been drinking tons of water and trying my best to fight it off but last night it wore me down.

I have issues with being able to breathe through both nostrils. If one nostril is plugged I feel that I am not getting enough air and end up mouth breathing. I know logically I am most likely getting enough air through just the one nostril but psychologically I need to be able to breathe through both. (And let's not even discuss how I can't breathe if the air is hot, two nostrils or not. Sauna's are suffocation rooms in my opinion.)

I stayed up until 11 p.m. in hopes that I would be tired enough to be able to fall asleep without having the one nostril breathing issue. Because if you think me trying to deal with one nostril breathing awake is difficult, you should see me try to be able to go to sleep with one nostril plugged. It's nigh unto impossible.

This morning the stuffiness isn't as bad but my head is still throbbing and full of yuck. I'm thinking I'll be heading to the store to check out those breathe right strips. I'm hoping that they can keep my two nostrils open so I can be sure that my brain is getting enough oxygen because I need to scrub that scene from Chinatown out of my head. It was very disturbing to me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just blog stalking around the neighborhood, thought I'd stop by. Sorry you're not feeling so great. I know what you mean about the whole nostril thing. When I'm feeling like that, I live for the moment I can breathe freely again. Speaking of feeling free, feel free to stop by!

Elisa said...

Oh my. Are you that fly on my wall I keep swatting at? I have nose-breatihing issues too! I hate having to breathe through my mouth... its weird.

Hope you feel better soon!

Anonymous said...

oh I hate that part of colds and flu.... I have gotten addicted to the nose spray on numerous ocassions b/c of that stuff.... this last cold, I only used it for three days, but I was prepared to go for a week, I HAVE to breathe LOL

hope you feel better soon.

*MARY* said...

Just reading about that scene creeps me out.
Hope your nostrils clear out soon.