Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Equilibrium - or lack thereof

My equilibrium is pretty much non-existent. When that particular feature was being handed out I must have either been out of the room or didn't figure I'd need that much of it. As I child I was never one of the kids you saw rolling down the hill or spinning in circles until they fell over. I even had a hard time swinging on swings. Needless to say I'm not much fun at amusement parks or carnivals because I can't, or rather won't, go anything that spins. I do enjoy roller coasters and I can deal with those pretty well.

In an earlier post I mentioned that I didn't like the elliptical machine because it made my feet fall asleep and so I was going to give the treadmill a try. I LOVE it. I love the treadmill. I can raise it so it's like I'm walking hills, which I love to do. I can speed it up and slow it down. All this while plugged into Rachael Ray or a local talk show or something. The time flies by and I can get in three miles in no problem. There is a little fan on the machine that blows in your face and keeps you cool and if I'm lucky enough I can get the treadmill that has the air conditioner blowing on it so I have a breeze blowing on me from both directions.

The thing that I don't like about the treadmill is getting off of it. Not because I've turned into a work-out fanatic or anything. It's because when I get off of it my equilibrium goes out on me. I walk or rather stumble away from the machine like I've had one too many. My head feels like I've been on some type of a ride and it hurts. The first time I got off of the treadmill I did so to get on another one so there wasn't really any slowing down and the sensation of falling was dramatic. The last few times haven't been as bad but that stumbley feeling is still there. I feel so awkward getting off of it but that won't stop me from continuing to get on it. I'm hoping that the feeling will continue to diminish as I continue to use it.

After thought. Why do they have cooking shows on while I'm exercising? They make me SO hungry. Although it may benefit my family because there have been some awesome recipes on so I have actually sought after them and will try them out. They had a thing about CAKES on today. Lemon cake, carrot cake, chocolate cake. CAKES! While I'm exercising!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel like that getting off of treadmills sometimes, too. It's helped me to slow it way down - like, ridiculously down - to almost a standstill and walking that way for a few seconds before getting off.

Anonymous said...

glad it won't stop you... I use to have that same thing happen, and am sure it will again, since I have been outside all spring and summer, but with fall/winter coming on, I'll be back on it and after daily use, and a solid week, it does go away, but like NC said, I slow it way down as I cool down.

funny how these things work. I'll have DH read these since this is his field, he'll be interested in reading a users opinion of it all.

KTsMommy said...

I've never been on a power treadmill, so I can't say I've ever gotten that feeling from it--but I do sometimes feel awkward getting down off an elliptical machine...I think your body just gets so use to the repetitive motion that it's got to get used to non-motion just the same...

I went to the y and worked out on machines with tv's attached to them exactly once (we were visiting Rob's sister and her family last year) and what did I have on while I worked out? FoodNetwork ;) It's just what I like to watch...