Monday, January 7, 2008

Happy Birthday Mom!

Today is my mom's birthday. I have an amazing mom. She is beautiful and kind and loving. If you look up Unconditional Love in the dictionary her picture would be there underneath. She has patience and is very slow to judge. I remember times when I was growing up when she would make a small comment about someone. A comment I didn't think was bad or anything, and she would say "Shut my mouth, I shouldn't be saying anything about them." She has always been kind in her words about everyone. And believe me she's come across some people who I think deserved a bad word or two. But she would always try to be nice and think of the good in people. She is amazing. She's taken care of my dad through umpteen surgeries and hospitalizations. Starting with when she was pregnant with me when he was in a gas explosion at work and his hands and face were badly burnt. She's also been there for her eight children. Helping them through the good and the bad. Another word that her picture is by in the dictionary is service. She taught me the importance of service, not through telling me it was important but through her tireless example. She also taught me the importance of honesty. If someone called who we didn't want to talk to she would not lie for us and tell them that we weren't home. She just wouldn't lie. I love my mom. I live two blocks from my mom in the same small (well not so small now) town that I grew up in and that she and dad have lived in for over 50 years. I see people all the time that know my mom and they tell me how much I look like her. And I thank them every time. I only hope that I can be as much like her on the inside as I am on the out.

Happy Birthday Mom, I love you.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know this is true from all you've ever said/wrote about her over the years. She sounds like salt of the earth, for sure. The other way I know she must be like this is that her daughter - I think you know her? ;) - sounds an awfully lot like her!!! It's almost like looking at a little cut out of her as far as I can tell. :)

Anonymous said...

Awfully lot??? Duhhhhhhhhhh. How 'bout - "awful lot". Well, on second thought - I don't think either one is grammatically correct!

i'm erin. said...

rock on! Happy Birthday Sis. N! I personaly think that you are one of the nicest, greatest, best looking, women in the neighborhood. And I have noticed that your daughter dresses pretty snazzy too...even when she doesn't pick me up to go walking!?! (hint cough hint)

hahahahaah

Anonymous said...

Okay I am NOT just saying this S.. but today when I logged on to see if you had posted, I didn't see your blog first, I saw that beautiful pix of your mom and niece and thought, Wow, S really does look like her mom! Then I read that uplifting post and wow!

WOW! wonderful post about your mom and I know those apples don't fall far from their tree!

Just SO said...

Thanks ladies! I sure hope I'm something like her. I think she had a pretty good birthday.

Nikki said...

Happy belated Birthday to your mom. What a beautiful post for her! She really is awesome. And so are you of course. I'd love to have the kindness and non-judgemental spirit and service as her. Maybe one day. I didn't realize there were one of eight! Now she's even cooler.

Nikki (Piglet26 Erin's sister-- far, far, away in the Frozen North)

Just SO said...

Thanks Nikki! Are you staying safe and warm?