Monday, August 25, 2008

j's off to school

So today is j's first day of Kindergarten. In fact I need to go and pick her up in about a half an hour. What did I do with the free time? I got the pictures that I took of her cropped and taken care of so I could post about it. So all in all I didn't do much.

She didn't seem to be nervous. She was a little excited but I got more of a "Let's just get this going and over with" type of vibe from her than anything else.



She is my baby. My last one to start school. Did I cry? Nope. I have been a little sad as each of the kids have started on their edamucational journey but only a few tears were shed as each started out. I was always more excited and happy for them than anything else.

I often have conversations where moms bring up how fast their kids grow up and how sad they are about it. Most of the time I feel uncomfortable in those conversations. Like some kind of wierdo. Why, you ask? Because I don't have those same feelings. I'm not sad to see my kids grow up. Isn't that why we are here? To grow and learn and progress.

I've come to the conclusion that I need to enjoy them in the moment. Not mourn the past or worry about the future
(too much) but just enjoy them here and now. Celebrate with them as they reach new milestones, love them and help them through difficult times.

This mindset could come from the fact that I do have a difficult time when they are babies. But mostly I LOVE learning about them each day. Hearing stories of things that happened at school and how they liked Art but didn't like what was for lunch, or whatever!

I hope j. has an awesome time in school today. She's is more shy than the other three were and has some anxiety in large groups so hopefully all will be well. I can't wait to hear all about it as we walk home and forward on our journey here together.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw, she is looking so much older. In the 3 photos right on top of each other - your first set? The top one I see so much of G. in her and in that bottom one I see you. Totally you. :)

I get sad about my kids growing up - I always wish they'd stay right where they are - but I love getting to know the "new" them each passing day, too. :)

TJ said...

I like your perspective on it. I have a hard time with change, so just when I get used to them at one stage, they go and get bigger again. I think that's one of my biggest hangups.

Anonymous said...

if you are weird, than I am too. I am searching for a you tube to post tomrrow when my kids start school.

I am glad they are growing up, I like you, had a harder time when they were so little. There are still hard days, but it's different.

J looks sooo much older, I almost didn't recognize her. Hope her first day was amazing!