Monday, March 17, 2014

New Calling and a Birthday Shout Out

Last week we got a call from the ward secretary telling us that the bishop wanted to come to our house and talk to us.  Which isn't in and of itself weird...except it is.  When you are asked to meet with the bishop it's typically in his office at the meeting house, he doesn't come to your house.  So, yeah, it was a bit strange.

We weren't quite sure what it was that the bishop wanted to meet with us about.  Well Ty wasn't.  I was pretty sure what was going to go down.  I just didn't know which part of the deep end I was going to be thrown in.  

Our ward Relief Society presidency has been serving for four years now.  And our president had actually been in the previous presidency for three years as the secretary so I knew that a change was coming. Thoughts of this kept coming to my mind. I could feel that I might play a part in this change and in a conversation with my Heavenly Father I told Him that I could feel this.  I also told Him that if this was where I was supposed to serve then I would do so willingly and with a happy heart.

I have never served in a Relief Society calling before.  I have served multiple times in the Young Women's and Primary organizations but not in Relief Society.  

So when the bishop showed up on our doorstep Thursday night I was pretty sure why, but like I said I didn't know if I would be called as the president or what.  I was extended the call to be the Relief Society secretary.  When those words came out of the bishop's mouth I was highly relieved and nervous at the same time.  I was told that Nan Atwood was going to be the President but they couldn't tell me the counselors names because they hadn't extended the callings to either of them.  

I tried calling Nan on Saturday but I couldn't get a hold of her.  Sunday came around and I went to an early morning choir practice.  Our choir organist is Laurie Ellington and I got the feeling that she might be one of the counselors but I couldn't exactly ask her...turns out she was called to be the second counselor.  The first counselor is Colleen Christensen.  She is a newer member of our ward and I don't know her really well but I am looking forward to getting to know her better.

Things are going to get busier with this new calling but I am thankful for it.  I know that this is where I am supposed to be serving.  I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about it but it's not a big nervous because I know that I am not in this alone. I have the Spirit of the Lord to guide and direct me. I have three fabulous women that I will be serving with and the women in our ward are amazing.  I look forward to getting to know all of them better as well.

And coincidentally today is the birthday of the Relief Society!  Relief Society is the oldest and largest women's organization in the world.  It was founded 172 years ago today!  Happy Birthday Relief Society!!


If you would like to learn more about this organization of the women in the L.D.S church you can go here...

and here

No comments: